Who we are
The Ghana Employers’ Association (GEA) is a national Employers’ Organisation whose membership comprises enterprises operating in all sectors of the economy. After independence in 1957, workers were organised under a central trade union and given powers under the Industrial Relations Act, 1958 to negotiate, enforce collective agreements, and defend their interests in all establishments. It therefore became not only logical but also imperative that employers should come together to enhance and protect their interests as well as provide a forum for consultation among themselves and share experiences, hence the GEA was formed in 1959.
- To promote the interest of Employers
- To act as a forum for Employers
- To keep members informed and advocate on the operation of existing laws and practices that affect Employers
- To represent employers in its dealings with Government, Non-Governmental Organisations and other national bodies
- To promote good management practices
GEA International Affiliations
The Ghana Employers’ Association (GEA) facilitates good management practices and develops sustainable institutional capacity and competence among employer organisations.
As a representative of employers body in Ghana, GEA represents Employers at the International Labour Organisation (ILO) conferences. GEA is affiliated to the International Organisation of Employers (IOE), Business Africa, previously known as the Pan-African Employers Confederation (PEC) and the Federation of West African Employers (FOPAO). The Association also has relations with employers’ organisations in Africa and the rest of the world. GEA also runs special technical programmes with selected donor agencies, which are of direct benefit to members.
The Association has been collaborating with the following organisations to help build the capacity of GEA to serve its members better:
- Dutch Employers’ Cooperation Programme (DECP)
- Wage Indicator Project
- International Labour Organisation
- African Regional Labour Administration Centre
Membership List (By Categories)
The membership of GEA is made up of the following companies categorised for easy retrieval: